“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” – John 3:16
From the passage above, believing in Jesus Christ the only Son of God promises everlasting life. Hence the revelation in John 1:12 which grants anyone that receives Jesus Christ the power to become Sons of God.
A closer look at both passages:
- The first, states that Jesus Christ is the Son of God even before his arrival and all that believes will have life.
- The second, states that he that receives Jesus Christ is granted the power to work out Sonship (not a son right away).
Now, we can derive clearly – “not all that receives Christ have the characteristics of Sons of God.”
Characteristics of “Sons of God”
- They are born-again (John 1:12 – 13)
- They are led by the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:14)
- They understand their identity (1 John 3:1, Romans 8:16, Galatians 4:7)
- They live a righteous life (1 John 3:3)
- They have faith in God (Hebrews 11:6)
- They do the father’s work (Philippians 2:13 – 15)
- They bring glory to God through their works (Matthew 5:16)
- They are well tutored (Hebrews 12:8, Galatians 4:1 – 2, Proverbs 12:1)
- They are victorious overcomers (Revelation 21:7)
- They discover their purpose and make manifest (1 Peter 4:10, 1 Corinthians 4:1 – 2)
- They exercise their power and authority over the earth (Galatians 4:7 – 11)
- Finally, They are the ones that the world awaits (Romans 8:19)
Are you a Son of God, are you on the path to working out Sonship OR are you still outside the box? One truth still remains… The only foundation for all these is Jesus Christ – Believe, Receive and Grow!